As part of our campaign to create awareness of ME/CFS, we try to secure media coverage whenever we can. Below are some of the interviews and articles:
- Afrika News.com: 21 January 2018 – Part 1: Interview with Retha Viviers, founder of ME/CFS foundation S.A
- Conscious Life Free Online Magazine: Article by Katherine Sarah on behalf of the Foundation – “What is Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) and could you have it?” (pages 22, 23)
- May 2017 Lighting up the Donkin – MECFSSA Foundation joins the global #MissingMillions Campaign on 12 May 2017 by lighting up the iconic Donkin Lighthouse in Nelson Mandela Bay, Eastern Cape, South Africa https://www.facebook.com/MECFSFoundationSA/videos/1309165582538132/
- Health Rising: Out of Africa – Breaking the Mold and Making a Difference
Jun 19, 2019 – Cort Johnson talks to Retha Viviers about her story, and the ME/CFS Foundation SA.
- SABC2 Health Talk: Television appearance
17 May 2017 – Foundation Founder, Retha Viviers, appears in studio to talk about ME/CFS, the Foundation, as well as Awareness Month May 2017
- Carte Blanche: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Millions Missing
19 February 2017 – Devi Sakaree Govender interviews foundation founder, Retha Viviers; Dr Ron Davis and Linda Tannenbaum from the Open Medicine Foundation; journalist and public health activist, David Tuller; and an ME/CFS patient. This video went viral with thousands from countries all over the world viewing and sharing it. It’s recommended viewing for people with ME/CFS, their family, friends and caregivers.
- COVID-19 casts a long shadow. Several studies have found one in 10 COVID survivors has symptoms that continue for weeks, and even months, after initial infection. Other research suggests the figure is significantly higher. Much about long COVID or long-haul COVID is still unknown, but it bears striking similarities to myalgic encephalomyelitis or chronic fatigue syndrome – ME/CFS for short. But while researchers quibble over numbers of how many people might be affected, others are engaged in unprecedented collaboration with the ME/CFS community to bring some light to the subject. Carte Blanche tracks the latest developments. Watch on YouTube.
- Retha Viviers and Dr Karin van der Merwe chat about Post Viral Syndrome: Long Covid on Die Groot Ontbyt. Watch on YouTube.
- CapeTalk: Interview with Retha Viviers and Dr Charles Shepherd
8 February 2018 – Pippa Hudson talks to Dr Charles Shepard and Retha Viviers | Founder and Director at The ME CFS Foundation South Africa
- Cape Talk: Interview with Elizabeth Murray and Romy Parker
3 February 2018 – Linzi Bourhill talks to Elizabeth Murray and Romy Parker about the ME/CFS Foundation SA
- Channel Islam: Interview with Retha Viviers
12 July2017 -Interview with MECFSSA Founder Retha Vivier
- KingfisherFM: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Millions Missing
12 May 2017 – Ethan Black interviews MECFSSA Founder Retha Viviers (rebroadcast the following week)
- CliffCentral.com: Womandla! Chronically fatigued?
9 November 2016 – Phumi Mashigo interviews MECFSSA founders, Retha and Clarinda Viviers, about ME/CFS.
- OFM: Research done on ME or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
27 October 2016 – OFM News’ Christal-Lize Muller speaks to Dr Simone Silver, a doctor specialising in treating ME/CFS, and foundation founder, Retha Viviers regarding the main symptoms, treatment and research.
- CliffCentral.com: Laws of Life – CFS & dream interpretation
17 May 2016 – Garry Hertzberg speaks to MECFSSA foundesr, Retha and Clarinda Viviers, people with ME/CFS and the mother of a patient to find out what life is like with this debilitating illness.
- Weekend Post: Weekend Post
13 May 2017 – Article in Eastern Cape Newspaper about the Foundation’s “Light up the Night” global participation for #MillionsMissing.
- Daily Vox: Living with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
12 May 2017 – Interview with Nomsa Gamedze
- CommUnity Ch@ Online Magazine: May is awareness month for Myalgic Encephalomyalitis
April Edition – Interview with Nomsa Gamedze & Retha Viviers, on page 12 & 13
- Northcliff Melville Times: Do you know what ME is?
4 January 2017 – Interview with MECFSSA founder, Retha Viviers, re the financial impact of the disease and the difficulty getting diagnosed.
- Krugersdorp News: Imagine living a life with no energy
2 December 2016 – Brief article re the foundation and major ME/CFS symptoms.
- Benoni City Times: Woman home-bound by invisible disease
27 May 2016 – Interview with MECFSSA founders, Retha and Clarinda Viviers, and Leigh-Ann Horn, a patient. Leigh-Anne was a successful podiatrist in Benoni for 18 years, but had to sell her practice after the onset of ME/CFS.